Kids Sleepovers are run by experienced sleepover supervisors accompanied by one or more assistants (relative to group size). The programme varies depending on staff availability, time of year, theme or nature of the group.
Kids Sleepovers at the National Aquarium are a fun and educational experience that include games, competitions, prizes and a scavenger hunt. Kids will get to see the aquarium's aquatic and land-based animals being fed and, if there are any peaches left over from breakfast, one of the aquarium's staff will probably feed them to the Pacu (a cousin of the Piranha). Also, kids will be able to get up close and touch the Australian Blue-Tongue Skink!
Who are they for?
- Groups of children 5+ (an adult ratio of 1:6 is required).
- Minimum of 20 people including adults and children.
- Less than 20 people is fine but the cost will be the same as for 20 people.
- Maximum number of people is flexible / at the discretion of the National Aquarium.
- Groups of over 40 people may need to sleep in separate areas due to safety regulations.
- Suitable for school groups, brownies, guides, scouts, cubs, and other community groups.
What are the themes?
- Piranhas in Pyjamas -The original option with Scavenger/questionnaire Hunt, Funimals, Solve the Riddle, Amazon Bingo, a night-time tour of the aquarium and team building games.
- Daring Divers- Diving themed activities like a diver show (swimming in tank), snorkel races, Dress up the Diver game, Diver Bingo and a night-time tour of the aquarium. Please give a month's notice for this theme so we can organize appropriate “Daring Divers” for the night.
- Pirate Pranks- Pirate themed activities like making pirate hats, walking the plank, treasure hunt, pirate bingo, ‘Ship’s Captain’ game and a night-time tour of the aquarium.
- If no theme is specified, then the ‘Piranhas in Pyjamas’ will be the automatic choice.
When do they happen?
- Start time – 6pm.
- For schools a free education lesson can be arranged prior to the sleepover from 5-6pm (see Education section).
- Finish time – approx 8.30am the following day.
Where are they held?
- Groups stay in the National Aquarium's Exhibition Hall, which is right in front of the Oceanarium.
- The aquarium provides dinner, supper and breakfast (please advise of any special dietary requirements).
- Dinner is from Burger Fuel with adult and child sized meals (gluten-free, vegetarian and Halal options available).
- Children and adults all sleep in the same area on a carpeted floor.
- Toilets available but please note there are no showers.
- When you arrive please come to the main entrance.
- Free parking is available in the aquarium carpark.
What do we bring?
- Sleeping bags, pillows, blankets, sleeping mats, stretchers and any other sleeping gear.
- Appropriate clothing.
- Toiletries and medications.
- The group leader will need to supply a written list of all the attendees who will sleep over.
- One large torch for the group to use.
Other Important Information
- Adults are in charge of the supervision of children in their group and will also need to assist in the general running of the sleepover.
- There is absolutely no allowance for alcohol, drugs or smoking.
- No pets.
- Please contact us a week before your sleepover to give us final confirmed numbers. We'll need total adults and children so we can order the right number of meals. Please note, these numbers are needed to order dinner so if they change after the final confirmation, please let us know!
- If you wish to cancel please do so at least four days beforehand.
You'll be invoiced by the Napier City Council the day after the sleepover, please provide details when booking.
National Aquarium of New Zealand Fees and Charges approved for 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017.
All fees and charges are inclusive of GST (except as noted *).
|Admissions||Fee (incl GST)|