Waste Aware Programme
Full Term Programme
Full term programme with 5 lessons with the facilitator.
- Lesson one: What do the students know? Facilitator visits school with an introduction poster.
- Lesson two: What do we do with our waste? Field trip to the Omarunui Landfill.
- Lesson three: What effect on the environment does our waste have? Field trip to National Aquarium.
- Lesson four: What can we do with our waste? Field trip to Transpacific Recycling Depot.
- Lesson five: Taking ACTION! Presentation back to the facilitator of the plans the class have to reduce waste and protect the environment.
Based on previous experience, this single term programme can be an exciting time for students as well as teachers! While those involved need to be committed to the programme, the end result will be a positive learning experience for all.
During the course of the programme, the Napier City Council will provide a ‘Waste Aware Education Programme’ folder which details pre and post activities for each section of the course and useful web-sites and reference materials. This will be collected at the conclusion of the programme.
Half Day Programme
The half-day programme of the Waste Aware Environmental Education, is in essence similar to the Full Term programme, but with only two primary ‘impact Waste Aware’ messages and is based at the National Aquarium of New Zealand. The half-day programme allows more schools to participate and is well suited for schools visiting from outside the Napier region.
A teacher support package; pre and post half-day programme activities is available from a web-site where teachers can download chosen activities. www.napier.govt.nz keyword: Waste Aware
Bookings are now being taken for 2013.
Why do the programme?
If your school is keen to make a change for good within our community and for our environment, the Waste Aware programme is for you.
Some comments from 2012’s participating schools are:
- A very worthwhile programme. The children soaked up the information that was provided. ~ Taradale School
- The children in my class learnt loads and really want to help make a difference at home and school now. ~ Taradale School
- I know my students have a heightened awareness of the effect of irresponsible waste management which I hope will impact on their homes and families, and thus, our community. ~ Maraenui School
- Parents are now taking bottles & plastic to Transpacific thru students ~ Maraenui School