We would like to share the latest update on our COVID-19 precautions.
From 3 December 2021 we will be operating under the traffic light system (also known as the COVID Protection Framework).
The National Aquarium of New Zealand is considered a public facility under the framework, however also has hospitality and retail operations, as well holding events and gatherings. The safety and wellbeing of our customers, staff and communities is our top priority, and for that reason we have made the decision to require everyone aged 12 years and over who uses or comes into the National Aquarium to be able to show a My Vaccine Pass or an official medical exemption. We may also ask those aged 18 and over for photographic identification to verify their My Vaccine Pass.
The National Aquarium is managed by Napier City Council. Council has health and safety obligations to staff, contractors, suppliers and general members of the public. COVID-19 poses a very real and serious risk, and those health and safety obligations means it must take reasonably practicable steps to manage and minimise that risk.
We want to assure you that we are taking the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19, following Ministry of Health guidelines.
• All staff, volunteers, visitors and contractors, aged 12 years and over to show their My Vaccine Pass on entry.
• Mandatory mask wearing by all people in visitor spaces
• Visitors are required to scan in using the COVID-19 tracer app
• “Distance a Moray Away”. Keeping (one metre) distance from other group bubbles.
• Managing numbers into the aquarium (400 people) to ensure the above is possible and comfortable for our visitors
• Hand sanitiser stations by our interactive displays
• Our 2pm shark feeding will not be operating due to the challenges of ensuring one metre distancing in the Oceanarium tunnel.
• Our popular keeper talks with the little penguins feeding, however capacity will be limited to 32 people to ensure one metre distancing
• Our 10am Pania Reef feed
• Little Penguin Close Encounters.
Our café and retail store will also be open.
If we did not require the use of My Vaccine Passes, the services we could offer would be very limited.
Our team are currently putting in place the necessary processes to manage this change in operation. As we are all aware, this is an evolving situation and there may be guidance changes in the future which we will respond to as required and will keep you as informed as possible.
30 November 2021
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the National Aquarium of New Zealand to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, National Aquarium of New Zealand shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. National Aquarium of New Zealand cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© National Aquarium of New Zealand - www.nationalaquarium.co.nz / +64 6 834 1404 /